Computer Science IT¶
Computer Science IT provides advanced computing, data, and IT services to the Department of Computer Science. Ten years ago, we focused on daily infrastructure and devices. We still do that, but our we now serve a far broader mission including teaching and services, data management, specialised research tools, and cloud services.
- Handle daily device and infrastructure needs.
- Develop and maintain department services, such as jupyter.cs.aalto.fi or the department services database lapa.aalto.fi.
- Help co-maintain other platforms developed by researchers or teachers.
- Provide services for managing the department’s research data.
- Provide virtual machines.
- Provide advanced consultation for IT needs for research.
… but most basic IT tools are handled by Aalto IT Services, not us. We build on their work and make sure research and teaching goes as quickly as possible.
(also note, we don’t primarily serve CS undergraduate students)
Work for CS-IT¶
We are always looking for students interested in IT, programming, and system administration. We also are a good place for civil service. The most important prerequisites are a good understanding of Linux and a never-ending desire to learn more. Buzzwords you are likely to become familiar with/useful skills to have:
- Kubernetes, docker, and virtual machines
- Web service development
- Puppet (and Ansible)
- Data and storage systems
- Computer hardware, building high-performance workstations