You need to request Triton access separately, however, the account information (username, password, shell, etc) is shared with the Aalto account so there is not actually a separate account. Triton access is available to any researcher at Aalto for free. Resources are funded by departments, and distributed by a fairshare algorithm: members of departments and schools which provide direct funding have a greater share.
Please contact us via the support email address (not personal email) and we will set up your account. Please tell us your department, supervisor, Aalto account, and see the conditions below.
A few prerequisites:
- you must have valid Aalto account
- you must have working email address (Aalto)
- you must accept Triton usage policies: requesting access to Triton cluster at Aalto University, you accept all the conditions listed in the Triton usage policies, including the data and privacy policies.
- You should tell us your department/school in your account creation request.
- Accounts are for
- Researchers (as in, affiliated with a research PI in any way). Please tell us who your supervisor is in your account request.
- Students coming to one of our Scientific Computing in Practice courses which uses Triton.
- Other students not doing research needing computational facilities should check out our introduction for students.
You know that you have Triton access if you are in the
group at Aalto:
groups shows this on Aalto linux machines.
When you get an account, you get added to a unit’s group, which is
“billed” for your usage. If you change Aalto units, this may need
sshare -U or
sshare and if it’s wrong, let us
know (the units are first on the line). (These are currently by
department, so changes are not that frequent)
Password change and other issues¶
Since your Triton account is a regular Aalto account, for any password change, shell change etc use Aalto services. You can always do these on the server kosh.aalto.fi (at least).
If you are in doubts, in case of any account related issue your primary point of contact is your local support team member via the support email address. Do not post such issues on the tracker.
Account deactivation / remove from mailing list¶
Your account currently lasts as long as your Aalto account does. If you want to end your account early, contact your local support via the esupport-triton email address. This way, you will also be unsubscribed from the triton-users maillist (the mailing list is required for everyone who has an account).
Before you leave, please clean up your home/work/scratch directories data. Consider who should have your data after you are done: does your group still need access to it?. You won’t have access to the files after your account is deactivated. Note that scratch/work directory data are unrecoverable after deleting, which will happen eventually.